Veneers vs. Crowns: Cosmetic Choices for Damaged TeethOctober 25, 2023 9:00 am
Damaged teeth can lead to a range of complications, affecting chewing, confidence, and oral health. Fortunately, there are various treatment options available to restore your smile’s functionality and appearance. As you explore cosmetic dental solutions for your damaged tooth, you might find yourself weighing the advantages of veneers vs. crowns. Let’s take a closer look at the differences between veneers and crowns, two popular cosmetic solutions for damaged teeth.
What are Veneers?
Veneers consist of thin porcelain shells that conceal imperfections and enhance your smile by covering the surface of your natural teeth. They can be applied to your entire smile or specific teeth, depending on the extent of the damage and your aesthetic goals.
When to Consider Veneers
- Stained or Discolored Teeth: Veneers are an excellent choice for concealing stubborn stains that don’t respond to teeth whitening. Moreover, they can provide a dazzling, movie-star smile.
- Chips or Minor Damage: Veneers can effectively mask small chips, cracks, or uneven tooth edges.
- Misalignment: If your teeth are slightly misaligned and you prefer not to invest the time required for orthodontic treatment, veneers can create the illusion of a straighter smile.
What are Dental Crowns?
Dental crowns are protective caps that act like shields, fitting over damaged teeth. Typically constructed from porcelain or ceramic, crowns are custom-made to match your natural teeth’s color and shape, seamlessly blending with your smile.
When to Consider Crowns
- Tooth Decay: Dental crowns are suitable when tooth decay reaches a stage where a filling alone can’t resolve the problem. They strengthen and protect the tooth, ensuring proper functionality without further damage.
- Broken or Cracked Teeth: Crowns are the ideal choice for fractured or broken teeth. They encase the remaining tooth structure, restoring both its integrity and appearance.
Comprehensive Dental Care in Anderson, IN
Now that you know a bit more about veneers vs. crowns, we invite you to schedule a consultation at Edgewood Family Dentistry to get additional information about which treatment is best for you. Dr. Kuiper and the whole team are proud to offer exceptional dental care for patients of all ages. Call today to book your next appointment!
Categorised in: Cosmetic Dentistry